Equine Nutritionist Wanted
Established animal feed manufacturer seeks Equine Nutritionist to help create, execute and support the strategy for their equine program and provide products to help horses live better lives.
The role of this Nutritionist is to increase sales of horse feeds by:
- Identifying opportunities in the marketplace and developing profitable science-based feeds that will be readily accepted by horse owners and dealers.
- Working with the marketing team to create advertising, POS and packaging materials that will drive sales
- Creating excitement around the horse feed line by working with the sales team to increase their ability to position the products against the competition and their ability to work with horse owners by developing their technical knowledge
- Being the face and voice of the company’s horse business by speaking at industry and user meetings, visiting key dealers and distributors and writing for the newsletter
- Initiating relationships with key industry and academic influencers in the equine community who will recommend the products.
- Providing technical support to sales reps, dealers and horse owners in-person and by phone/email.
- Working closely with manufacturing and purchasing to maximize ingredient inventories
Reasons Why This is a Great Job for the Right Person
- You will apply your expertise to further develop the product line, helping horse owners by providing products that help their horses perform better and live healthier.
- You will be directly responsible for this product line and the primary source of technical information for equine nutrition and feeding. You will be attend all major conferences and be state-of-the-art with your knowledge.
- This position works at corporate level and in the field taking information back and forth. You will provide dealers and horse owners with important technical information and provide corporate leadership with the ongoing needs of the horse community, identifying and reacting to industry trends.
- You will be a leader in the horse community in a large region as public and industry speaking is involved in this role, speaking at industry events and regional horse events. You will be a recognized authority in the field, participating at the highest levels.
- The workload is diverse working in the corporate offices, in the field with dealers and sales reps and with horse owners. This provides a variety of projects and people interaction.
- Team environment
- Reasonable travel – some of your time will be spent in the field, talking with horse owners and retailers, either one-on-one or speaking engagements. You will solve problems in practical settings and build relationships with horse owners and dealers.
- Affordable cost of living in a comfortable climate
- Established company with products already in this space
- Company has reasonable expectations of success
- Family-oriented business
To be considered for this position you must possess
- An advanced degree in equine nutrition, Ph.D. preferred
- A passion for helping horse owners feed their animals well
- Self-management skills with the ability to meet deadlines
- Feed formulation skills, balancing rations using standard programs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to discuss technical information with experts and end-users.
- Excellent stand-up presentation skills
- Willingness and ability to overnight travel 25%
- The ability to be a team-player as you will work with other nutritionists on R & D projects and provide back-up support for them
- An understanding that products must be nutritious, marketable and profitable
- Empathy , in order to provide resolution to customer service issues
- A high level of professionalism, integrity and a track record of accomplishment
- Flexibility and the ability to handle multiple projects with changing priorities
- The ability to create enthusiasm for products by sales reps, dealers and the horse community
- The ability to relate to all aspects of the horse community from pleasure to competitive and professional riders and owners.
Experience in the feed industry and familiarity with the various segments of the equine industry is preferred.
To be considered for this role, send your resume to
Dan Simmons, Principal Recruiter at Continental Search
Call: (888) 276-6789